Here’s how to create a query for importing from a single source:
- In Excel 2019/Office 365, click the Data tab, then Get Data, then select your source from a drop-down menu.
- Follow the prompts to identify the file you wish you import.
- In the Navigator pane that opens, you will see a list of tables that are available inside the source. Single click the items to preview them, or double click a table you wish to import.
- A Query Editor window will open, showing the data you have just imported.
- Shape the data in your habitual way, removing columns or rows that aren’t relevant.
- Clean the data in your habitual way, replacing values and filtering the data.
- Name the process in the Query Settings pane on the right side of the screen.
- Now, load the query to a worksheet by clicking Close & Load in the upper left-hand corner of the Query Editor. A drop-down menu allows you to choose whether to load to a new worksheet or select an existing one.
- When you wish to import new data from the same source, go to the worksheet. Right click anywhere in the data range, then click Refresh.